Monday, November 2, 2009

Genetic Test

Starting the last week of October, I still hadn’t heard the results of the BRCA test the geneticist ordered for me. I called Wanda, the Breast Cancer Care coordinator, and she hadn’t seen the results, but said she would ask the geneticist when she came in on Wednesday. By Wednesday afternoon, I hadn’t heard yet, so I called every doctor on my list to see if they had gotten the results. I wanted to know right away because I had my visit with the plastic Surgeon late Thursday morning, and I wanted to be able to tell her if it would be a single mastectomy or a double. No one had any news, and the geneticist hadn’t answered her phone when I called.


But Thursday morning when I got home from getting my shot, the geneticist called me! She had the results; my cancer was not a genetic form of breast cancer. So, my family is not as high of risk, and they will only need to do a single mastectomy. She was very nice about answering questions, and said she would send me a letter with the results and to call her back if there are any more questions.

So far, everyone who has worked with me has been very nice. No gruff doctors or nurses who are too busy, everyone is friendly and willing to answer any questions and I am just thankful! I know it would be hard to work all day with people who are dealing with cancer, and they all just have kept their upbeat attitudes. What a great team they have at my hospital!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that the cancer isn't genetic! Also, your hat is almost done. Love you Lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that!! You deserve the best team working with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great when people are so patient!

    ReplyDelete